Like all systems, Umbraco requires routine updates to ensure optimal performance, enhanced security, and to take advantage of the latest features and functionalities. Upgrading your Umbraco website comes with a lot of benefits, including:
- Bug fixes and security patches to improve website security and operation.
- New features that improve user experience, streamline workflows and boost website performance.
- Guaranteed support from the community and team in case of issues.
Umbraco 11 is 40% faster as it runs on the latest Microsoft .NET 7 technology and C#.
The performance improvements in Umbraco 11 include:
- Improved page rendering for faster load times and website performance.
- Optimised back-office interface for faster content editing.
- Improved caching to reduce server load and improve website performance.
Upgrading to Umbraco 11/12 results in improved website performance, faster load times, and a faster back office interface. In turn, this improves conversion and reduces hosting costs.
Upgrading Umbraco: Your Options
To upgrade from Umbraco 7, you can:
- Migrate to the latest version using the existing front-end code base.
- Update the front-end code base to improve performance and UX before migrating Umbraco.
- Turn your new Umbraco website into a powerful Digital Experience Platform by integrating best-of-breed solutions from CRM to Martech.
Umbraco 7 Migrations
Umbraco Version 7 was released in 2013, making it 10 years old by the time it reaches its End of Life in September 2023. This is pretty old for software.
Umbraco 7 will no longer receive support from Umbraco HQ for software vulnerabilities (e.g., security patches). This puts websites using this version at risk of security breaches.
Umbraco 8 Upgrades
The product roadmap means you will not have to upgrade from Umbraco 8 for quite a while. Umbraco 8 is now in a security phase, which means Umbraco HQ will only fix security issues and release security updates until Umbraco 8 End-Of-Life in February 2025.